News

Getting back on track after cancer treatment

A project helping patients take back control of their lives and speed recovery after treatment for breast, prostate or colorectal cancer has proved so powerful it has secured further funding...

Read more

Community Hospitals in the Forest of Dean - Public and Staff Consultation

The 12 week Community Hospitals in the Forest of Dean public and staff consultation ended on 10 December 2017. We would like to thank everyone who has taken part and...

Read more

Gloucestershire’s Stop Smoking Service is celebrating meeting its annual target after helping more than 3,300 people on the path to quitting.

The countywide service, which provides medication and support for people who want to give up, is set targets for the number of people who manage to get through four weeks smoke free.

This year the service exceeded its target by helping 3,302 people in the county reach the four-week target, which is set as it is shown to be a reliable indicator for giving up smoking long-term.
 
Elaine Watson, from the Stop Smoking Service, said: “Hitting our target for four-week quitters is brilliant news – all the evidence shows that people who manage to stop smoking for four weeks have a high chance of going on to quit permanently.

“Those 3,302 people have done brilliantly, but they are not the whole story. Our advisors are talking to people all the time – smokers who are just starting to think about quitting, or not really thinking about it at all, as well as those trying to give up.

“We welcome the opportunity to talk to people who smoke and I’d like to thank everyone who has contacted the service over the last year for taking steps towards giving up.”

When someone wants to quit, the Stop Smoking Service will work with someone for 12 weeks providing advice and support. Medication, such as nicotine replacement therapy and Champix, is also available for the price of a prescription.

The service has helped over 30,000 people to quit smoking since its start in 2000 and has a long history of achievement in providing outstanding care. This is reflected in service user experience with 85 per cent rating their overall care as excellent and the remaining 15 per cent rating it as good.

To contact the Stop Smoking Service:

Tel: 0300 421 0040
Website: www.stopsmokingglos.nhs.uk
Twitter: @stopsmokingglos
Facebook: Search Gloucestershire Stop Smoking Service
Address: Quit Shop, Southgate Street, Gloucester