News

Community Hospitals in the Forest of Dean - Public and Staff Consultation

The 12 week Community Hospitals in the Forest of Dean public and staff consultation ended on 10 December 2017. We would like to thank everyone who has taken part and...

Read more

High profile campaign launch as the NHS prepares for winter

    The NHS in Gloucestershire is launching its winter campaign and asking people to think twice before heading to A&E or calling 999 when it’s not an emergency. The campaign visuals under the...

Read more

Sally Morrow, Wendy Howson and Susan McCook-Weir, descendants of George MooreLocal people celebrated the official opening of the newly refurbished George Moore Community Clinic in Bourton-on-the-Water recently with an open morning and tour of the new facilities.

The clinic was officially opened by three descendants of George Moore, who donated the original hospital site in the 1920s, with Susan McCook Weir, Wendy Howson and Sally Morrow unveiling a commemorative plaque.

The new facilities, run by Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust, provide a wide range of outpatient clinics for the local community, including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, dental services and a range of children’s services.

Artwork commissioned by the North Cotswold Art In Health programme was also revealed. Glasswork by Catrin Jones, a variety of memory boxes created by David Gates and a sculpture of two Cotswold sheep by Karen Hilliard feature in the new clinic to create an uplifting environment for patients and staff. 

Welcoming guests to the open morning, Ingrid Barker, chair of Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust, said: “The new George Moore Community Clinic will allow the local community to access a range of healthcare clinics without having to travel to Cheltenham or Gloucester: this is in line with a new model of care for Gloucestershire where people can access the health and social care they need as close to home as possible.”

The opening was attended by a wide range of NHS staff, members of the local community and district council, as well as the Moore League of Friends who have supported the refurbishment of the clinic, including work on the gardens.

Moore Friends President Phillip Winter commented: ““The legacy of George Moore is seen throughout Bourton in the cricket field, the footbridge, the football club, the tennis club and also in our local healthcare facilities.  In 1928, George Moore donated the Moore Cottage Hospital to the local community, which was given to the NHS when it came into being in 1948. It’s really important to continue his legacy by naming this new outpatients facility after him, ensuring that his contribution to healthcare for the local community is not forgotten.”

Linda Edwards, Matron of North Cotswolds Hospital and George Moore Community Clinic said: “This clinic is central to community healthcare in Bourton-on-the-Water and we are proud of the efforts which have gone in to making this great facility available.”

The new George Moore Community Clinic is on Moore Road, Bourton-on-the-Water, GL54 2AZ, telephone 0300 421 6940. The nearest minor injuries unit (MIU) for Bourton residents will continue to be North Cotswold Hospital.